In Friday’s meeting a re-organization of Auditions/Awards Recitals was discussed. Here are the initial thoughts presented:
· Following each Audition session (fall & spring), there would be an Awards Recital
> Hopefully, a Fall Awards Recital would encourage more students to apply to the Fall Auditions
· This would mean removing the Honours Recital but in it’s place we could reinstate the “Anything Goes” Recital (to be held in February)
> Students who did not qualify for the Fall Awards Recital or who may not be ready for Spring Auditions, would then still have a performance opportunity open to them
Some discussion took place and the following developments presented were:
1. Do not hire an adjudicator for the Fall Awards Recital (as there may not be enough applicants to warrant the expense). Instead, present awards/scholarships based on the marks students achieved during the Auditions.
a. In this case, rename the “Fall Awards Festival” to “Honours Recital” (as “Festival” would imply a competitive environment)
b. Also, include students in this Honours Recital who have achieved 75% and above (rather than 80% and above) to allow for more participation
2. Should students participating in Fall Auditions as well as the Fall Honours Recital also be eligible to participate in the Spring Awards Recital, with the same pieces (without having to perform in the Spring Auditions)?
3. Rename the “Anything Goes” Recital to “Branch Recital” or something that would imply a casual nature but also still require higher performance standards (pieces must be performed fluently with or without music).
Let’s discuss these changes and after some time, executive can draft up a clearly outlined e-vote, taking member’s ideas into consideration. If I’ve left anything out regarding these recitals, feel free to add to the discussion!